So far we addressed dietary changes to cure carb craving such as eating more protein, eating more frequently and decreasing intake of white foods (sugar, bread, rice, potatoes, pasta). There is a supplement called MetAssist which I formulated which will help not only with blood sugar stabilization but also help you lose excess body fat. In MetAssist there are 4 major and 4 minor nutraceuticals that work synergistically to normalize and prevent swings in blood sugar, lower hemoglobin A1C in diabetics, improve mood, directly curb desire for sweets and actually decrease body fat levels when taken regularly. These nutraceuticals are as follows:
Hydroxycitric Acid or HCA – This naturally occurring substance is derived from a tropical fruit garcinia cambogia, also known as tamarind.
In multiple scientific studies HCA has been shown to:
- decrease conversion in the liver of sugar and starch to fatty acids
- decrease absorption of sugar from the gut so more sugar is simply excreted from the body
- lowers sugar and insulin levels, triglycerides and inflammation in the body as shown by lowering C reactive protein and interleukin 6 which are blood markers of inflammation
- increases serotonin, the “feel good” chemical in your brain which lowers appetite directly as well as indirectly by decreasing stress and depression which are major triggers for excess eating particularly starchy foods
- lower body weight by BMI by 6% in 12 weeks
Chromium Polynicotinate – This is a compound which consists of the metallic element attached to the B vitamin niacin. This compound is also known as glucose tolerance factor (GTF) as it is the link that attaches the insulin receptors to the cell membrane as also keeps the insulin receptors active. When insulin receptors become inactive due to chronic overeating of white foods this is what causes type 2 or adult onset diabetes. In fact, chromium polynicotinate has been shown in many human studies to lower hemoglobin A1C (HgB A1C) by 0.6 in diabetics. Diabetes is defined in laboratory studies as an elevated HgBA1C of greater than 6 so basically this can decrease it by 10% which is quite significant.